Thursday 15 April 2010

Final Tribute

Hello everyone. Sorry I couldn`t be there today. Here`s my homework contribution. Would welcome comments. Hope you have an enjoyable day


The first time I went on the ferry across the Mersey, I took my mother with me in my handbag.
We weren`t close, but at this present moment in time, we couldn`t be closer - me sitting on the wind and rain lashed deck - water dripping down my neck and cheeks - her resting quietly and protected on my lap. We didn`t often go out together so this was an unusual occurrence to start with.
We didn`t speak, and I didn`t know, and never knew, if our silences were companionable or just intervals of time that were necessary in order for the inexplicable and ever present resentments to flourish and grow.
Resentment - sadness - grief - deep loss - deep love - mix them all up and what do you get? This, I suppose.
If she could speak to me now - what would she say? If I could speak to her now - would she hear me and what would I say?
So I sit here, hearing nothing except the sound of the mechanical choking of the ferry`s motor and the squawking protests of the low flying seagulls, deeply breathing in this paradoxical peacefulness.
Although I`m not completely comfortable with what I`m about to do, I know for sure it`s what she wants. She said it so many times and it`s written in black and white.
She ends where she began but who notices her final tribute to the city she loved except me and the Liver Birds who stare indifferently out?



7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your touching story about your mother's ashes and the ferry.Your story is very descriptive and i felt i could have been on that ferry with you that day.
    We had a really good workshop today, as usual, and we even have a new memeber of the group Keith.
    Look forward to seeing you soon. Keep up the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi hope you are feeling better i enjoyed your story it was very moving i could just picture you and how you felt.I look forward to reading more of your wonderful stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your blog and felt very moved by it i read it through a few times and got a clearer understanding the second time
    I realised the second time of reading that you had your mums ashes with you as the ist time of reading thought it was comic being in a hanbag.hpoe to catxh up with you soon but not sure if i can make it next week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Doreen

    this is a great story it's a shame you couldn't make the workshop. I hope you're feeling better soon.

    To keep up to date on what we've been doing you can go to

    http://www.elainejenn.wordpress.com

    and maybe you can leave comments on other people's blogs too and read the stories they've been writing this week?

    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this, certainly fun to read. The reader is dropped down alongside this pair (one a fair bit shorter than the other) and there is an exchange of talk, understanding and feeling between them (even with one being silent). We become voyeurs to this exchange. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments - feedback is always welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice evocative piece of subtle, underplayed writing. Poignant without being slushy sentimental - always a good sign of a good writer. I particularly liked the alliteration of "paradoxical peacefulness" amid the (also very descriptive) "Squarking seagulls". Keep practising Do.
    Novelist & True Crime author, George Skelly.

    ReplyDelete